My dog Milo loves his treats! Although he eats pretty much anything and everything, so I guess that’s not saying much! Well, while he may not care what he eats, I do. Have you ever looked at the ingredients on a bag of treats? Yikes! I bought a bag of peanut butter banana treats, thinking they were vegan, and I got home and realized there were things like maltodextrin, gelatin, caramel coloring, and even eggs. Eggs! I never even thought about eggs in a dog treat.
The good thing is there are only three ingredients. They’re easy to make and will save you a lot of dough (all puns intended)! Seriously a bag of dog treats was $12.99. I made these with ingredients I already had at home! You can make them with either bananas or pumpkin puree. I made both. You could even use apple sauce but would have to adjust your flour a bit. They will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.Print
- 2 cups oat flour (you can also grind old fashioned oats into a fine powder)
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 ripe bananas (you can also use 1/2 cup pumpkin puree)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Mix ingredients in a bowl until a dough forms. (I used my hands) If the ingredients seem too dry, you can add more peanut butter one tablespoon at a time. If too wet, add more oat flour.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll mixture into 1/2″ thick rectangle.
- Use a cookie cutter and cut dough into shapes. I used these.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until dough is brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. They will firm up when they cool.
- Refrigerate and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
You can double the recipe and freeze half of the treats. They will keep in the the freezer for up to 3 months.