A few weeks ago, I was on the hunt for a pretty serving bowl. I wanted something classic. Something that looked old but didn’t have to be old, with good color and lines. I found one at Williams Sonoma and immediately went to work on creating a colorful salad to put in it!
I don’t know about you, but I love a good salad. I also have a thing for sweet potatoes. Truthfully, I have a “thing” for all potatoes, but sweet potatoes are my favorite. Baked, roasted, mashed, or fried, the potato is a quintessential vegetable.
I wanted to make the salad part savory, party sweet, partly cooked, and part raw. This Coriander Sweet Potato Salad with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette and Pomegranate is all that! It’s loaded with nutrients, flavor, and texture. It’s also beautiful and ready to serve in just 30 minutes! Let me know how you like it!
P.s. I also doubled the vinaigrette dressing to use for a later date.
Easy and delicious this salad is almost too pretty to eat!
- 2 sweet potatoes, cleaned and quartered lengthwise (don’t worry about peeling)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 10 oz mixed greens (I used spring mix)
- 1 pomegranate, cut and arils removed; as set aside
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (can use roasted/salted, if need be)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, stemmed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Vegan feta (I like Violife), crumbled
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss potatoes in olive oil and sprinkle with coriander.
- Add potatoes to a parchment-lined baking sheet, roast for 30 minutes, turning potatoes once after 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, whisk maple syrup, mustard, cider vinegar, shallot, garlic, herbs, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until the vinaigrette emulsifies and thickens.
- When potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool. Cut each potato quarter in half when they have cooled enough to touch.
- In a medium-size serving bowl, layer the salad. Add a handful of mixed greens and 1/4th of potatoes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette, 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, 2 tablespoons feta, 2 tablespoons arils, 1 tablespoon cilantro. Continue to layer this way until all potatoes have been used.
- Divide equally among 4 bowls.
Look for a firm pomegranate. I like to cut my pomegranates in half, and in a bowl half full of water, pull the pomegranate apart by hand, removing all of the arils. Once I have them removed, I dispose of any large pieces of the pith (the spongy white tissue lining) and rapidly stir the arils by hand to remove any additional pieces of pith that may still be attached.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Vegan Salad, Sweet Potato Salad