I love this rice dish! It’s super simple to make and goes with just about everything! My daughter loves the cilantro rice at Qdoba, so I decided to make a homemade version just for her! I prefer brown basmati for general use, but for this dish, I opted for white basmati. With a high protein content and very low GI ranking, brown basmati rice can be a healthy option if you use grains. I have not tried this with cauliflower rice, but I would imagine it would be an easy swap!
I like to toast my rice before boiling it. Toasting grains before cooking can enhance the nutty depth of the grains, lending an extra layer of flavor to a final dish! This dish pairs well with my BBQ Tofu Bowl!
Easy rice dish packed with flavor!
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups basmati long grain white rice
2 1/4 cups water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp lime zest
3 Tbsp lime juice
1 cup lightly packed cilantro, leaves and stems, finely chopped
Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Warm a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat. When warm add oil.
- When oil begins to shimmer, add uncooked rice and stir well. Stir occasionally until the rice has started to brown— About 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add water, salt and lime zest. Bring to a boil. When boiling, cover pan and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 13-15 minutes (check your rice package instructions). Remove from heat and let sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in lime juice and toss with cilantro and add red pepper flakes, if using.