When I was a kid, I wouldn’t say I liked beets. As an adult, I was determined to make nice. And I’m so glad I did. They are not only delicious, but they are also super healthy. Rich in folate (Vitamin B9), they help the body make red blood cells. Like Anthocyanins in red grapes and Beta Carotene in carrots, beets contain Betalains which are unique nitrogen-containing pigments and are cancer and heart protective.
This recipe makes a great salad year-round! It makes a lovely addition to a holiday table, and it’s a delicious and easy salad to make in the summer. I PROCESS MY BEETS IN THE PRESSURE COOKER because I’m not particularly eager to turn on the oven in the summer. But you can use an oven just the same. Typically, I don’t boil them because they lose their deep red color. If you choose to boil them, leave about one inch of stem intact to help minimize color loss while cooking,
If you want to really jazz it up you can use half red and half golden beets. It is also yummy with chopped pistachios and vegan feta!
If you make the salad, tag me let me know how you liked it!Print
Easy year-round salad, everyone is sure to love!
- 5 medium red beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
If using an oven:
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet parchment paper.
- Clean the trimmed beets and place on the baking sheet. Roast for one hour, or until fork tender. Cool, peel, and cut into small diced pieces.
If using a pressure cooker:
- Add 2 cups water and cleaned, stemmed beets to pressure cooker. Cook on high for 7 minutes.
- Cool, peel, and cut into small diced pieces.
- To make the vinaigrette, puree one of the cooked beets in a blender or food processor with all remaining ingredients, except the cilantro.
- Before serving, toss the beets with vinaigrette. Adjust seasonings to taste and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve warm or cold.