I love cornbread! I loved my Grandma’s cornbread most of all. But her recipe contained eggs, buttermilk, and wheat flour. I tell ya, being gluten-free and vegan is no easy task! There are so many obstacles to overcome that you either feel like giving up or just settling for the substandard pre-made crap you can find in the grocery store. So with Grandma’s cornbread out of the question. I sat out on the arduous journey of creating my recipe. As many of you gluten-free folks may know, gluten-free can mean dry, chalky, and dense. And on the vegan side of things, no eggs and no buttermilk can mean your bread falls completely apart, or it merely refuses to rise! So, what is a girl to do? After making some delicious banana muffins and using aquafaba in my chocolate chip cookies, I decided to combine the two and make cornbread! The result was the BEST cornbread ever. Sorry, Grandma.
Anyway, this recipe pairs well with my Gumbo, Chili, Black-Eyed Peas with Collard Greens, and it hangs well just by itself! I love to add diced jalapeños to mine! Just be sure to let it cool for at least 5-10 minutes! I hope you enjoy it!Print
World’s Best Cornbread
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25-35
- Total Time: 11 minute
This unbelievable GF vegan cornbread uses aquafaba in place of eggs and Bob’s Red Mill GF flour blend! Simply amazing! The key to this recipe is also using fine grind cornmeal like this one.
- 1/3 cup chickpea brine (whipped until fluffy and soft peaks form // aka aquafaba)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup grape seed or canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour*
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and lightly grease a standard 9-inch round cake pan or 8×8-inch baking dish and dust with gluten-free flour. Shake out excess and set aside. (I also think you could use an 9-inch cast iron skillet, but it wouldn’t come out as easily and will likely have to be served directly from the pan).
- In a liquid measuring cup, measure out non-dairy milk and add vinegar or lemon juice. Set aside.
- Add chickpea brine to a medium-mixing bowl and begin whipping until loose peaks form. Then add sugar in a little at a time and beat until the texture is glossy and white and semi-firm peaks form.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Then add non-dairy milk mixture and oil and whisk once more. Finally, add the whipped chickpea brine (with sugar) and gently whisk/fold in until a thick but pourable batter is formed.
- The batter should be thick but pourable. Add more cornmeal or gluten-free flour if too wet or non-dairy milk if too thick.
- Add batter to prepared cake pan and bake on a center rack for 25-35 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out completely clean.
- Let cool completely in the pan – set on a wire rack to speed cooling process. To remove, run a dull knife around the edge of the cake pan to loosen, then slice and serve. Alternatively, place a plate on top and quickly invert. It will be upside down so flip onto another serving platter to get it right side up.
*Any good GF flour blend will work. Just make sure that it contains xanthin gum (used as a substitute for wheat gluten) as it is a binder for GF flour.
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Cornbread
3 thoughts on “World’s Best Cornbread”