The other day my oldest daughter was craving tomato soup. I had to admit it sounded really good to me too. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is the best! Of course, her version was a can you throw in the microwave, and mine was, well…this.
Fire Roasted Vegan Tomato Bisque
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1medium onion, diced
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular sweet paprika works, too)
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 cup(80ml) light coconut milk, or cashew cream
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot, over medium-low heat. When the pot is hot, add onions and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the onions are soft. Stir often and add 1 TBSP stock or water if needed, to keep the onions from burning.
- Add tomatoes, including the liquid, and stock. Add tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, paprika, and a pinch of kosher salt. Raise the heat to medium and bring everything to boil. Let the soup simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Turn off heat. Let the soup cool off for 5 minutes before transferring to a blender to blend. (I blend a little more than half of the mixture and leave the rest for a bit for texture).
- Return soup to pot and stir in coconut milk or cream.
- Serve in bowls with black pepper, minced basil leaves, nutritional yeast, and a swirl of cashew cream, if you’d like.
- Top with croutons. I used Minimalist Baker’s “Actually Crispy Chickpeas” She nailed it!
One thought on “Fire Roasted Vegan Tomato Bisque”