Who doesn’t love pasta? This recipe has been one of my most requested! It is mouth-watering, literally. Just be careful when you’re making the sauce. I kept “testing” it. To make sure it was good, you know? Anyway, I was so full that I only had a couple of bites when I sat down to eat it. The good news? It makes a lot, and the leftovers the next day didn’t disappoint!
I always boil my tempeh. Mostly because I’m not too fond of the slightly bitter flavor and cooking it for about 10 minutes removes all of that acrid taste. I like the Lightlife brand, but I’m not beholden to it. If you have a brand, you prefer then definitely use it.
The creole spice mix is so good and keeps well if you decide to make it. Otherwise, any store-bought creole/cajun spice mix works. If heat isn’t your thing, then skip the red pepper flakes and add black pepper instead. Be sure to get a good quality rigatoni. I like to buy my pasta in bulk directly from DeLallo, or the Italian Food Online Store.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and it becomes a favorite part of your dinner rotation!Print
Spicy Red Pepper Rigatoni with Creole Smoked Tempeh
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained (Reserve 1/3 cup peppers, and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup béchamel sauce
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup grated vegan parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 2 8 oz packages organic tempeh, cut into triangles
- Voodoo Magic Creole Spice Mix
- Cut tempeh rectangle in half. Cut each square into two triangles.
- Add tempeh to skillet with just enough water to cover and simmer for 10 minutes. (Helps to remove the slightly bitter flavor)
- Remove from heat.
- Season each side of the tempeh with Voodoo Magic Creole Spice Mix.
- Warm a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. When the oil is shimmering, add tempeh. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side. When golden brown, remove from heat and set aside.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add onions. Sauté until onions become translucent—about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds—season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a high speed, blender add the béchamel, stock, roasted red peppers, basil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Blend until smooth.
- Add sauce to the onion mixture. Stir well, and add dried parsley and reserved red peppers, and tempeh. Simmer over medium heat until sauce is warmed through entirely—taste for seasoning.
- Cook pasta until al dente (about 6-8 minutes)
- Serve in a pasta bowl. Top with vegan parmesan and fresh minced basil. Enjoy!
I like to use this tempeh.
ve 1/3 cup