For as long as I can remember Summer meant splashing around at the lake, drinking lemonade, and eating my weight in watermelon. So when a friend of mine told me about a watermelon soup with jalapeno she had somewhere down in Florida, I immediately went to work! After making at least a half-dozen recipes, I finally figured it out! This magical soup is not only a favorite of mine, everyone who tries it, asks for the recipe! So, my friends…here you go!
- 6-7 cups of diced watermelon
- 1 red onion roughly chopped (reserve 2 Tbsp for garnish)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and roughly chopped (reserve 2 Tbsp for garnish)
- 1 cucumber, roughly chopped (reserve 2 Tbsp for garnish)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes cored, roughly chopped (reserve 2 Tbsp for garnish)
- 4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves roughly chopped (can sub 2 Tbsp dry basil)
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill weed (garnish)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In a blender puree the tomatoes, jalapeno, bell pepper and 1/2 the watermelon. Add cider vinegar, olive oil, and pulse. Add the onion, cucumber, remaining watermelon, and basil, puree until smooth. Salt and Pepper to taste! Chill for 1 hour and serve.
Combine and garnish with reserved onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes and fresh dill.