- 1 package pasta shells — cooked al dente and drained
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 cups plant-based whipping cream
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 head of fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz of button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup vegan Parmesan cheese — grated
- Salt and pepper — to taste
- Garlic powder — to taste
- In a medium saucepan, cook pasta al dente (i.e., pull about 3 minutes before package directions)
- While pasta is cooking, warm a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter. When the butter is almost done foaming* add shallot. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant—about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until golden brown. About 7-8 minutes.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Add 1/2 white wine and deglaze pan. (Optional)
- When the wine has evaporated, add heavy whipping cream.
- Add tomato paste. Stir and mix well.
- Add parmesan cheese. Remove from heat. The mixture will thicken as it sits.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- When pasta is 4 minutes from being done, add broccoli and blanch for 1 minute. Remove 1/2 cup of pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and broccoli. (I use a spider to remove mine from the water).
- Add pasta and broccoli to the sauce, return to medium heat, and cook for 3 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add 1/2 pasta water. If it’s okay, you do not need to use this water.
- Add pasta to the bowl and garnish with additional parmesan cheese.
*This indicates that all the water in the butter has evaporated, and the temperature can rise above the water’s boiling point of 212 degrees. Shallots and mushrooms both contain a lot of water. Removing water from the butter will help the shallots and mushrooms release their flavor and brown.
- Serving Size: 4-6