If you love a creamy, hearty, flavor-packed bowl of soup, this carrot soup recipe is for you! The warming spices, coupled with garlic, and fresh ginger have the capability to increase your internal body temperature and improve blood circulation, thus giving you a sense of warmth during the chilly winter months.
- 3–4 tablespoons vegan butter, or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices (@5–6 large carrots, 8–10 medium)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 Tablespoons red Thai curry paste
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro or parsley, minced (garnish)
- Sourdough croutons (garnish)
- Heat butter in a dutch oven over medium-heat until the foam subsides. If using oil, heat until oil is translucent. Add onions, sprinkle with salt, and stir to coat. Add carrots, ginger, and all spices. Stir and cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and curry paste, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the stock; add enough liquid should cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low heat and cover, cooking until the carrots are cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Be sure to test the thickest one to ensure it’s cooked through.
- If you have an immersion blender, purée the soup in the pot. If not, wait until the soup cools slightly, and purée in a blender. Be sure to hold the lid of the blender with a kitchen towel. *A hot liquid at high speed is volatile, and the lid can fly off.
- Return the mixture to the dutch oven and add coconut milk and lime juice.
- Adjust the seasonings (depending on your stock, you may need more or less salt) and lime juice to taste.
- Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
*I added more salt, pepper, and coriander at the end.