I love this recipe and I think you will too! It is super good with a few dashes of green tabasco!
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 cloves)
- 4 Tbsp gluten free 1-1 all-purpose flour*
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 – 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 4 Tbsp mild green chilis (optional)
- 1 Tbsp green Tabasco
- ½ Tbsp maple syrup or organic cane sugar
- Heat large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add butter and let it melt and start to sizzle – about 1 minute.
- Add minced garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add flour 1 Tbsp at a time and whisk. (Don’t worry if it’s a little lumpy).
- Cook for 1 minute, then whisk in milk slowly. Stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable stock and whisk until smooth. Bring to a low boil.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt, cumin, chili powder, maple syrup, and green chilis, and tabasco, if using.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for extra cheesiness, salt or tabasco for savoriness, or sweetener for flavor balance.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro or pico de gallo. Enjoy with chips, or atop Mexican dishes, such as nachos, enchiladas, or tacos!
- Store leftovers in a glass jar or container in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a small saucepan over medium heat. Best when fresh.
*Makes a great Queso dip! You can use it in a crockpot but be sure to keep a cup of stock nearby so you can add to it as the dip may thicken with the heat.
Keywords: Queso, vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, cheese