- 12 oz cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 6–8 ounces oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced (I pull mine apart)
- 1 large or two small poblano peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 (6-inch) crisp corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Corn Tortillas
- Vegan cojita cheese (Violife’s feta works too!)
- Green onions, for garnish
- Salsa verde
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, and a generous pinch of salt. Spread the cauliflower on a lined baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes, or until crispy.
- While cauliflower is roasting, warm a large skillet over medium heat and add onion, poblanos, and broth. Sauté until onions and peppers are tender and lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add 1/2 cup salsa verde to mushroom/pepper mix and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove mixture from the heat and add lime juice. Adjust the seasonings as desired.
- While mushrooms are cooking, warm a comal or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each tortilla until lightly browned on each side. (To keep warm, cover cooked tortillas with a clean dishcloth)
To build each taco, add mushroom mixture, and top with roasted cauliflower to a tortilla. Garnish with cilantro, salsa verde, green onions, and vegan cojita.
Keywords: Vegan tacos, mushroom tacos