These gluten-free, vegan chocolate cookies are super simple and delicious. You may want to double the batch because they’ll be gone in no time.
- 1 3/4 cup 1-to-1 gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- ½ cup refined coconut oil or other neutral-flavored oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg replacement* (I used 1 Tbsp Just Egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- Vegan white chocolate, melted
- Crushed candy canes
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large measuring cup, mix all wet ingredients together with ¼ cup water.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Add in the chocolate chunks and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Do NOT skip refrigeration)
- Remove dough from the fridge. Using a small ice cream scoop, or approximately 2 tbsp. of dough, form into balls.
- Place in oven and bake for 16-18 minutes. The longer they cook, the crispier they will be.
- Leave on a baking tray to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
If dipping in white chocolate, add chocolate to the microwave and cook on 50% power and stir every 30 seconds until melted. Or add to double boiler**and cook over medium-low heat until melted. Make sure cookies are completely cooled. Dip cookies in white chocolate or use a spoon and cover either half or the entire cookie. Add crushed candy while white chocolate is still wet.
*Flax egg: 1 tbsp flaxseed meal to 2 1/2 tbsp water mix well and let rest for 5 minutes or until thickened. Use as a regular egg.
** If you don’t own a double boiler (who does these days?) then gather a medium saucepan and 2 medium heatproof bowls that can sit over the saucepan without dipping too far into it. Pour water into saucepan to come 1″ up the sides (there should be a gap between the water and bowl so check it before the water gets hot!) and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Keywords: Gluten-free, vegan, chocolate cookies