- 1 (14-oz) block organic extra-firm tofu, drained, and pressed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill (or 1 tablespoon fresh dill)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (I use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos)
- 8 oz. pasta of choice, broken into bite-sized pieces if applicable
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain the tofu package, and press the tofu for about 20 minutes while the oven preheats. (We use a tofu press, but you can also wrap the tofu in a clean towel and stack something heavy like a cast iron pan on top of it).
- Break the tofu apart into irregular shapes, or roughly chop it, add to a bowl.
- Toss tofu in olive oil and sprinkle with poultry seasoning, coating generously.
- Place the tofu pieces on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flip the tofu and bake for another 15-25 minutes, or until firm and slightly crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Warm a large saucepan over medium heat, then add 1/4 cup of vegetable stock.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrot, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally. If the vegetables start to brown, turn the heat to medium-low and add additional stock one tablespoon at a time. Saute vegetables until the onions and celery are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, dill, red pepper flakes, thyme, black pepper, and stir. Cook until fragrant, 60 to 90 seconds.
- Add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in the soy sauce, pasta, and baked tofu chunks. Continue to cook for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, dill, and parsley, if desired.
Keywords: Vegan Soup, Vegan Noodle Soup