Basically frozen water, fruit, and sugar, a sorbet is a perfect summer dessert! This frozen base would also be great as a margarita, or daiquiri.
- 3 stalks of fresh rhubarb, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 lb stemmed and chopped gariguette strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is quite soft. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and carefully mix until smooth. If using a blender, do so in batches so the mixture doesn’t overflow and burns you. Chill the mixture in the fridge for about 3 hours, or until cool. (About one hour in the freezer).
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you are not using an ice cream maker, you can also pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze. It will be ready in about 3-4 hours. Best made the day before and frozen overnight.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: frozen sorbet, strawberry rhubarb sorbet