- Cover the almonds with 2 inches of hot boiling water, and let sit on the countertop for 1 hour.
- Prepare your molds. Though the cheese doesn’t stick, I still use a bit of avocado spray on my molds. If using a glass or bowl, be sure to line them with parchment paper. It makes it easier to remove the cheese. I use silicon baking molds and they work great! You can also use a bowl, a tall thin glass, really anything you want.
- Drain the almonds. In a high-speed blender, or a food processor, process almonds with 1/2 cup water, the lemon juice, coconut oil, and garlic until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides.
- Add the salt, coconut milk, and vinegar and process until completely smooth.
- Add in lactic acid, probiotic capsule(s), and agar agar powder. Blend for 1 minute.
- Pour contents into a medium size sauce pan and bring to a boil. When the cheese has reached a boil, remove from heat and immediately pour into molds. Let cheese sit at room temperature for at least an hour, and up to 48 hours. When you have achieved your desired tanginess, remove from molds and refrigerate.
- Lasts for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.
* Be sure to use REFINED coconut oil.
**Lactic acid is not necessary but adds a lot to the overall flavor profile.