- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 15- to 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Long-grain rice, to serve
- Heat a heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- When the pan is sufficiently heated, add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, if using, and oregano and sauté until vegetables start to soften about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of beans to the pan. Using the back of a fork, mash beans coarsely.
- Add remaining beans, broth, and vinegar and simmer until mixture thickens and flavors blend, stirring occasionally about 15 minutes.
- Season beans to taste with salt and pepper.
- Long-grain rice, to serve.