- 2/3 cup whole raw almonds
- 2/3 cup whole raw cashews
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 cups organic old-fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1/3 cup organic ground flax meal
- 1/3 cup crispy cocoa rice cereal
- 1/3 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raw coconut nectar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (or preferred nut butter)
- 2 Tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup organic dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup raisins, or dried cranberries (optional)
- Line the bottom of a 9×12″ baking dish with parchment paper. Be sure to have some extra hanging over the sides, making it easier to remove from the pan.
- In a food processor, add the almonds and cashews. Pulse until lightly chopped, and there are only a few if any large pieces are remaining. This step is essential. If you skip it your bars will not stick together.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and stir in sunflower seeds, oats, flax, puffed cereal, and chocolate chips. Stir until combined. Set mixture aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, or microwave, add peanut butter, coconut oil, and coconut nectar. Melt and stir to combine. Allow mixture to cool for 2-3 minutes and then add to dry nut/oat mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Add peanut butter mix to dry nut/oat mix and stir well to combine.
- Spoon mixture onto prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth. Be sure to press mixture down firmly into the pan. You want it to be very compact.
- Place bars into the refrigerator to chill for at least 2-3 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When ready, cut bars into rectangles. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week at room temperature or two weeks in the refrigerator.
**Can also be frozen. Layer cut bars in between layers of parchment paper and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 12 weeks. Thaw at room temperature.
Keywords: Granola bars, vegan bars, trail mix