This chili is a family favorite! It comes together perfectly and quickly! The addition of the cocoa powder adds a depth of flavor to the beans, tomato sauce, and chili powder making the chili itself taste richer!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed (or finely minced)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2/ tbsp cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- Warm dutch oven over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, then add oil. Once oil is warmed, add onion and bell pepper. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently and being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add spices, coating vegetables well. Cook for about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes. The longer the chili cooks, the more flavor it will have. So, if you’ve got the time, let it very gently simmer on the stove for an hour or even up to 2 hours. If you cook it for several hours, you may need to add in just a bit more broth or water.
- Once ready to eat, take off of the heat and garnish with some vegan sour cream, green onion, avocado, etc.