Usually, I avoid using vegan “meats” from the grocery store. Typically they are highly processed and contain ingredients that I can’t pronounce. But this Field Roast Farms sausage is made 100% from fresh fruit and vegetables! Crafted from apples, Yukon gold potatoes, onions, garlic, sage, and ginger, it is the perfect “meat” for my vegan meal! If you wish to avoid the sausage, you can easily use diced crimini mushrooms instead! Do be aware this sausage is not gluten free.
For the roasted acorn squash:
- 2 large acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Pinch of thyme
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoons olive oil (can use vegetable stock, if oil free)
- 2 Field Roast Smoked Apple & Sage Sausage links, cases removed and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 1/2 cup prepared rice (I used white basmati)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup herbed vegan goat cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan (I use Follow Your Heart)
- Preheat oven to 425° degrees. Wash and dry squash. Slice squash in half from tip to stem and scoop out seeds.
- Place the squash halves flesh side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and pinch of thyme. Roast flesh side down until almost done, about 25-30 minutes. Remove squash from oven and set aside.
- While squash is cooking heat medium size skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or stock, if oil free) to pan. Once the oil begins to shimmer add diced onion, sausage, and dried cranberries. Add 1 tsp each thyme, oregano, garlic powder, and parsley. Sauté until onions are translucent and sausage has browned about 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add prepared rice. Stir until rice is warmed through.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the vegan goat cheese. Season with salt and black pepper.
- When done, remove squash from oven and reduce heat to 350°.
- Divide mixture between squash halves. Top each squash with vegan parmesan cheese and return to oven. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve warm.
The sausage mixture can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.