This vegan Irish Stew reminds me of being a kid! My mom always made hearty soups and stews this time of year. The savory flavor of this soup is amazing and will warm you to the bones!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots and/or parsnips (3 to 4 carrots or parsnips)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound whole crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 16 oz Guinness stout
- 4 cups Edward & Sons Not-Beef Natural Bouillon Stock (or use vegetable stock)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 Tbs corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbs water (to make a thickening slurry)
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Dice onions and add to a Dutch Oven. Soften onions in a few tablespoons of water.
- Add chopped celery, carrots/parsnips – saute for 6-7 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. About 30 seconds.
- Clean mushrooms and medium dice, add mushrooms to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Stir in tomato paste and add the stout. Stir well and simmer 1-2 minutes. Add stock and potatoes. Add Worchestershire sauce and seasonings, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through. Mix corn starch and water. Bring stew to a strong simmer and stir the slurry into the stew to thicken. Stir well. Garnish with fresh parsley and peas, if desired.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 233