I love this recipe. It makes enough that I can use half, and then I freeze the other half.
Step 1: Preparing the Cashews
• 2 cups raw cashews
• 4 to 6 cups warm water
In a medium bowl, soak the cashews in water for 3 to 4 hours to soften. Strain, reserving the cashews and discarding the liquid.
Step 2: Preparing the Sauce
• 1 cup onion, diced
• 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
• 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• Pinch of white pepper (Can use black pepper in a pinch) 😉
• 1 tsp sea salt (optional, but I recommend)
- Add drained cashews and remaining ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. This may take several minutes.
- Taste for seasoning.
- At this point you can add to a pasta, or freeze. * See note.
- When you are cooking with cashews it is important to note that they will thicken as they cook. If you find your sauce is too thick, add additional water/stock one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- If freezing add to freezer safe container. Freezer safe for up to 6 months.
- Be sure to label your container.
- Bring to room temperature before using.