This is an easy step-by-step guide to building a delicious burger!
- 1 package of Impossible Meat or other plant-based burger
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- brioche buns
- sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonaise
- Prep brioche by lightly brushing the inside of the buns with olive oil. Set aside.
- Form burgers into the size patties you want, and season each side with salt and pepper.
- Warm a medium-sized skillet over medium-low heat. When heated, add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add onions to the pan. The key to caramelizing is cooking low and slow. When onions start to soften after 4-5 minutes, add cabbage, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt. Cook until onions and cabbage have caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the pan. Set aside.
- In the same pan, increase heat to medium-high. When warmed, add burgers to the pan. Using a spatula, immediately begin to move the meat around in the pan. Moving them around helps the burgers form a crust and keeps them from sticking to the pan. Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes. If using vegan cheese, add it when you flip the burger.
- If using cheese, turn heat to medium-low and cover the pan; this will help melt the cheese. Check after 2-3 minutes.
- Place buns in toaster or oven and toast until lightly crisp. Add mayonnaise to the inside of both the top and bottom bun.
- Using tongs, top burgers with onions and cabbage.
- When brioche is toasted, add the burger and other toppings.